I go with him to tag new baby calves, this isn't as easy or as safe as you might think. Some of the mother cows are really protective and freak out when you get close to their new calf. They get in your face and bellar like crazy while breathing right on your neck and flinging snot everywhere, then run circles around the 4-wheeler until we get done. Its a pretty good adrenalin rush. There were a few times that I had my dad a little panicked, once I knocked his hat off with the Hot Shot(a stick that shocks the cows). He was lifting his head up to get out of the way of the cow right as I leaned forward to shock her. He thought he was going to get zapped pretty good. But I knew what I was doing and didn't push the button. (Thankfully) Then when we were catching a calf that was running frantically around with his momma, he jumped off to catch it and I was flipping around the 4-wheeler to get back to him not knowing he was running after me with the calf. I think he thought he was going to get trampled by the cow. OOPS
My dad knows all the cows by name or tag number even when he can barley see them. I am trying to memorize who is who and their characteristics. It's not very easy! He knows his cows so well, I really admire, and share in his love for them. Thanks dad for teaching me all that you know about cows, and being patient with me!
I even helped my dad haul hay today. I pulled a trailer with about 4 ton of hay on it. I was a little nervous at first but it was pretty easy and I was proud of myself. Teague is enjoying the hundreds of 4-wheeler rides he gets a day, and totally loves seeing all the cows and baby calves!! He is one spoiled little man!
Ellie and I on the back of the 4-wheeler
Teague and Daddy watching mom feed the calf.
Gavin helping me bottle feed
Red Fiery Volcanic "BLAZE"
This is Blaze "my" baby calf. His name is long, but I thought that it was kinda funny. My dad and little brother make fun of me, and make up their own name every time we go down there.He has a lot of spunk and loves it when I go down to feed him. He bellars like crazy when I leave. I keep getting told not to get attached, but I am such an animal lover that it is impossible. This little guy is getting really big and I can't get in the pen with him anymore cuz he knocks me around. I have to let him suck on my hand so he doesn't throw me around. This has been one of the best summers ever, we are having a blast out of the farm!! Guess you can say I'm a "Country Girl"!!!

2 comments:
I agree. I love going home, but I feel like such a worthless city boy when I remember how much work it is. But it is the best work.
Michael named one of his dogs "If I should die before I wake...Feed Jake". We just called him Jake. The next dog he had was named "Pud". Go figure. I was a bit scared when it came time to name the kids.
Post a Comment